What are the five basic elements of a paragraph?
Five basic Rules of a paragraph writing
The five basic elements of a paragraph writing and Rules – and How to write a good composition or paragraph? This question comes to our mind because writing a good paragraph is an art. For a good composition writing, we have to follow some rules. Writing creative writing with rules is an art that improves our writing skills. There are giving here some example of good paragraph writing
|Basic elements of a paragraph writing format|
Expansion of idea is a true test of one’s hold on written expression and command over the language. Your expression must not be diffusive and roundabout. Be sure that expansion of idea is neither a treatise nor an essay. Unlike the essay, be concise and sparing in your expression on the one hand and on the other you have to concentrate your mind within the range of your idea attempted, as against the
‘loose a pandemonium of mind. Further unlike an essay, the expansion of idea should be regular, digested and systematic place. To expand an idea into paragraph implies a sustained purpose and forbids digressions and irrelevant matter. ’
Good expansion depends on two factors, viz., the power of thinking and the ability to construct a paragraph. Thinking provides the matter
as well as the manner in which an idea has to be expanded while the skill of constructing a paragraph will give a suitable form to the amplification. A good paragraph contains one single idea. properly developed: its sentences form one indivisible whole. Thus, unity and coherence are an essential feature of a paragraph and, therefore, of amplification as well. This is possible when nothing farfetched or irrelevant is introduced. Hence, one should practice the art of writing short and simple paragraphs on topics of various interests before efficiency in the expansion is acquired. The subject is treated under the following heads:
- Good expansion depends on two factors, viz., the power of thinking and the ability to construct a paragraph. Thinking provides the matter
as well asthe manner in which an idea has to be expandedwhile the skill of constructing a paragraph will give a suitable form to the amplification. A good paragraph contains one singleidea. properly developed: its sentences form one indivisible whole. Thus, unity and coherence are an essential feature of a paragraph and, therefore, of amplification as well. This is possible when nothing farfetched or irrelevant is introduced. Hence, one should practice the art of writing short and simple paragraphs on topics of various interests before efficiency in the expansion is acquired. The subject is treatedunder the following heads:
- Basic elements of a paragraph writing are following bilow
- I. What is a paragraph: A definition.
- II. Essentials of a paragraph.
- III. Some practical hints for writing a good paragraph.
- IV. How to avoid the pitfalls.
I. What is a Paragraph?
A paragraph comprises a series of sentences grouped together and relating to one subject. It connects all the sentences with one another in various ways by unity of purpose. Usually, the main thought
is stated in the opening sentence and then amplified in the paragraph’s body.
|2. Essentials of a Paragraph|
Essentials of a Paragraph to
be observed in constructing a paragraph is that of unity. Just as each sentence deals with one thought, each paragraph must deal with one topic or idea. Every sentence in the paragraph must be closely connected with the main topic of the paragraph. There should be no digression from this rule. In the words of Dr. Henderson, “At the end of the paragraph, the reader should have, in a minor degree, the feeling that he gets when he reads the last sentence in a book”. Order:
The second principle of paragraph construction is a logical sequence of thought or development of the subject in order. All ideas should
be connected with the leading idea and arranged according to their importance. The two most important sentences in a paragraph are the first and the last. The first, which should be the topical sentence, should arouse the interest of the readers and the last should satisfy it. The first sentence states the topic a fact, statements, or a proposition; the last brings the whole paragraph, on the given topic, to a conclusion. Variety:
The third principle of paragraph writing is variety. It should not read like a monotonous monologue. It should not be repetitive.
Five basic elements of paragraph writing
Clarity: The first rule of Basic elements of a paragraph. A judicious choice and correct placement of the words is very important for clarity and shows the writer’s mastery of the language.
Style: Your written word reveals you. The style is the man”, said the celebrated prose writer Walter Pater. It is important to be to the point, concise and pithy while writing a paragraph. A good paragraph should keep the interest of the reader alive till the last word. I should write it in a simple but effective language.
Some Practical Hints for Writing a Good Paragraph
‘ Read the question carefully. Read again and again till you have grasped fully the meaning of the proposition and what the examiner expects of you.
Select the subject which you, fully understand. Do not be hasty in your selection.
Carefully reason out the idea and expand it. Let all the sentences in the paragraph revolve around this key idea or main theme.
Apply the rules given above under the heading
The examiner may require you to:
Expand: This means a simple expansion of the keynote, the theme or proverb
without offering any comments for or against.
Discuss: This means to
evaluate or debate. Give reasons first in support of the given subject and then against it. But you are to not give judgment for or against either set of reasons advanced by you.
Comment or Critically Examine: Here the examiner expects you to assess and judge and to give you reasons for and against the statement and then to give a final judgment supporting or rebutting the key idea.
Refute or Oppose: This means that the examiner wants you to advance your reasons against the
given topic or statement. You are not to advance arguments in favor of it. You are just expected to write a paragraph opposing the keynote of the topic.
Agree with the statement-Agree with the statement (for or against): Here the examiner wants you to agree or disagree with the given statement. You are to take a position. You are to give reasons only for the position you have taken up.
How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Five basic elements of paragraph
Avoid a vague or ambiguous approach to the topic. Do not illustrate the topic with a story in its support or refutation.
Avoid irrelevant details and supernode words. Avoid lengthy and compound sentences. 1?)! to keep to a simple style.
Avoid transgression the limit of words prescribed. Avoid any discussion of the topic unless specifically asked to do :0.
Avoid attempting an expansion of any statement which you do not fully understand. Unless you are absolutely certain of the real meaning of a proverb or a saying. avoid attempting it.
Example of some good paragraphs
1. Paragraph writing exercise ofThe value of educational tours of students life Educational tours are of great value in modern education. They bring the pupil in real contact with the world about which they study in the classroom. Firsthand contact with life has everlasting impressions on the mind. Educational tours to museums, planetariums, places of historical interest widen the horizon of the students. They should form an essential part of any educational curriculum. Besides, they provide an opportunity for students to mix up with other students, learn while they have fun and most important of all reduce the distance between the teacher and the taught. Learning takes place in a friendly and informal atmosphere. Such tours break the monotony and help to maintain the students’ interest in learning. They even promote team spirit, co-operation, and tolerance among students. They enrich the lives of the pupils and provide them with a wealth of experience to draw upon later in life. Most certainly educational tours should be given as much importance as classroom teaching. 2. Paragraph writing exercise To err is human nature but; to forgive, divine Man is by nature fallible and continues to make mistakes throughout his life. Adam and Eve, the ancestors of mankind, lost the paradise because they could not resist the temptation of eating the forbidden fruit. We won’t be human if we didn’t have our shortcomings. We all yield to pressure and temptation, sometime in our lives. Thus, to err is human and it is unjust to hold it against a person forever. We should be forgiving by nature. We should not nurse injuries, hold grudges and feelings of resentment for others. Forgiveness is a divine quality. He, who forgives and forgets is a large-hearted person. People do make mistakes. However, it does not mean they should be punished for it, forever. Nevertheless, forgiveness is a two-way process. If we expect others to be tolerant of our weakness then we too should develop the ability to accept the fact that, other human beings also deserve to be forgiven for their wrongs, faults, and shortcomings. 3. Paragraph writing exercise of Environment Environmental pollution is one of the major hazards that are threatening the ecological balance. The air that we inhale is polluted, the water we drink is contaminated and noise pollution has managed to take away the calmness and serenity from our otherwise hectic and tense lives. One of the main sources of pollution is the heavy and congested traffic which causes the concentration of smoke and harmful particles in the atmosphere, which is a permanent or chronic cause of various respiratory disorders. The incessant felling of trees, building of dams and the upcoming unplanned congested localities have disturbed the ecological balance to an alarmingly high level. To remedy this situation the urgent need of the hour is to plant as many trees wherever possible and to shift the factories and mills to places where their effect on pollution of the environment is minimized. To control traffic, carpools must be made so that the emission levels from vehicular. traffic can be reduced .to. the desired levels of Five basic elements of paragraph